Blog #2

In my classrooms in the past I have used Microsoft Word in a very traditional way. I used it as a source to write papers. I would use the tools like spell check, word counter, and the different formatting options Word offers to assist me while writing the papers. I also would use Word to make flyers and such for school events and projects. I am comfortable using Word, however, in high school my teachers had us stray away from Microsoft Word and transition to Google docs. I think they encouraged us to use this because it was easier for collaboration purposes because multiple people can be on the doc at once. When the teachers did use Microsoft they would use it to for purposes such as creating their worksheets and writing their notes for our class. I am sure they used the same tools we did, like spell check, formatting, etc. Their uses of Word was used mostly for preparation for their classes and creating lessons to give students to help us learn.

My experience with copyright knowledge is pretty strong. At my high school, every year, every student in the grade has to write a themed essay. During the time period of this paper, the librarians come in during our English classes and give us a 3 day lecture on how to cite our sources, use internal citations, and properly quote other authors work. For these papers we have used both APA and MLA citations, mostly on the website noodle tools. Also, these lectures emphasize that anything that is even remotely copyrighted will not be tolerated. One specific example of copyrighting at my high school was the graduation speech in 2016. The student reciting the speech copyrighted the majority of it from a popular youtube video and he lost his college admission to the University of Miami. Basically, this event at my high school made copyrighting a real problem with serious consequences. I think that knowing the consequences made students more aware and willing to properly cite their sources. As a teacher, I would make it very clear that copyrighting is not tolerated in my classroom and it comes with serious consequences if it happens. It can get really confusing on how to properly cite a quote and paraphrase parts of articles that you want to use in your paper. I would create a lot of assignments to teach students how to paraphrase by using different articles and having them paraphrase them in a way that isn't copyrighting the material. I also would want to create assignments about internal citations. Two programs I would use to monitor copyrighting are noodle tools and turnitin.com. Noodle tools is a good source for making sure students properly format APA and MLA citations. Turnitin is a good way to see if the student copyrighted. The way it works is it scans the students essay and lets us know what percentage of the essay is found directly in other articles, essays, books, etc.

Although technology is an extremely helpful tool in the classroom, it comes with a lot of implementation issues. These issues range from legal issues, to social issues, to ethical issues. Some legal issues include piracy, copyright, and the right to privacy. Some social issues include cyberbullying, digital bridges, and cyberstalking. Some ethical issues include academic honesty, freedom of speech, and piracy. However, when I become a teacher I am going to work my hardest to make sure these things don't happen in my classroom. To prevent the legal issues such as piracy, I will filer the student's softwares. These softwares, such as Netop's and Netfilter prevent students from accessing unacceptable and illegal websites. Although this filtering system won't be able to block every single bad site out there, it will at least prevent most of them. To combat a social issue of implementation, such as cyberbullying, I will just make it unacceptable and inexcusable. Kids have no problems saying mean comments to their peers behind a screen because there is an appeal of doing it anonymously and the guilty emotions being sucked out of it. When I give my students the right to use technology in my classroom, I will make it beyond clear that I will not tolerate any kind of cyberbullying. I will tell them that if I find out about cyberbullying in any way, the consequences may result in suspension or worse. In my opinion, this is really the only way to handle cyberbullying or any kind of bullying for that matter, in the classroom. Academic dishonesty is a big ethical issue in many classrooms. When taking an exam online, it is so easy for students to look up the answer in another tab or hire someone online to write an essay for them. Also, as I stated early, copyrighting can become a large problem. There are a few ways to deal with these ethical concerns. For copyrighting, using anti-plagiarism software can help as well as educating students on the consequences of plagiarism. For the academic honesty part, when I am giving exams, I will monitor the student's screens more intently. All of these implementation problems make using technology in the classroom a challenge, but they are all solvable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #4

Blog #0

Blog #6